fam

fam

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Read the labels...

So with my drastic change in diet this year, I've found it extremely difficult to find safe snacks that aren't double in price or run the risk of being processed in the same place as wheat products. This leaves fruit, veggies, and nuts as fast and easy snacks. (especially while I was working at the elementary) So when Heidi and I found dried fruit at the dollar store I was ecstatic. Now I know your thinking, "come on, it's banana chips there couldn't possibly be a problem."
This red, patchy skin referred to as "chicken skin,"this is what is left of the rash I had on the tops of my hands and my inner forearm down to my elbow. Guess who is reading all labels and looking for the gluten free sign before she purchases any food? The culprit, my darn banana chips. They happened to be processed in a plant that processes wheat products as well. Now the rash showed up 8 to 12 hours after I'd consumed the tasty dry fruit. now the painful gut ache and doubling over in pain came within 45 minutes after eating the dreaded snack. Lesson learned, my food must never, ever touch gluten products. This includes cross contamination of jams, peanut butter, or my gluten friendly food and gluten filled items. I made rainbows with my 2-3's class at work out of fruit loops by the end my hands itched so bad I wanted to chop them off. Solution? Lots of hand washing at work, and extreme label reading in stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment