fam

fam

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Day for Dad

I don't know why I can throw something together for mother's day and feel good about it, but have the hardest time coming up with the perfect gift for father's day. My mom could yell at me growing up or state her opinion on something I'd done and it'd roll off my back. (now I'm not saying I don't take my mother's feelings and suggestions to heart) My dad always had away of piercing my soul or hitting the spot when it came to things. I never wanted to disappoint or upset my dad.
 The last year and a half has been really hard. As a child I always pictured my father as the super hero that could fix anything. If the boys did something dad fixed it. If mom needed something fixed dad did it. If my bike was flat, dad fixed it. A few years ago dad's brain surgery and close to death hospital stay made me realize that my parents, especially my father wasn't invincible.
 Last year I'd just graduated with my Bachelors in Creative Writing and found myself back under my parents roof after two years out on my own. My mom told me a few weeks after I moved back how excited he was for me to come home. I enjoyed spending time with him, but at the same time tried so hard to find a job so I wouldn't be seen as a burden to my parents. At the time my father was struggling with a crippling pain that made it nearly impossible to walk, stand, or move his arms above his chest. I spent the time I wasn't looking for a job, helping my father and keeping the house clean. I wanted so badly to find a job in Salt Lake so that I could continue helping my dad, but felt the urge to branch my work possibilities out.
So I applied in Heber City. Shortly after I was hired as a aid my father was diagnosed with a rare form of arthritis. It was a relieved  to know he had an answer and could begin some medication that would help him mend. After his rough Father's day and birthday last year(part of which w's spent in an ER) I was determined to do something special for him this year. So I began asking. I was a bit disappointed when it ended up being a card and money to put towards a new piece for his smoker.
 So dad I just wanted to let you know that I'm so proud of you and all you do. You taught me the importance of loving others and a love for nature. I hope you had an awesome Father's day, because you'll always be my superhero!

No comments:

Post a Comment