fam

fam

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Ah my Sciatica...

About 8 weeks ago I had a little incident at work. The office at my work is basically carpeted cement. I was sorting collector cards for our car museum on the floor for 2 hours. After finishing my project I instantly thought, "dang that's going to hurt in the morning." That next morning there was a sharp pain all the way down my left side from the hip joint to my knee cap. Figuring I had merely tweaked a muscle I took some ibuprofen and went on my merry way. 
  By that Monday I was in so much pain that it hurt to get up and walk from my bed, the toilet and anything that involved squatting. Being discouraged I called Dr. Mom who told me it was either my back or hip. To keep taking the Ibuprofen and if it didn't improve to go to the clinic. Another week went by and my strict regiment of ibuprofen didn't seem to be cutting it. I was miserable and it was obviously more then a tweaked muscle. After lots of coxing and threatening from two of my roomies I decided to go to the clinic.
  After an exam she ruled it as Sciatic Nerve pain. Putting me on prescription strength Naproxen with strict rules to take it easy and relax this week. I was to come home the next week to see if the swelling had gone down. If not then Physical Therapy was a must.
To make a long story short I started PT on the 27 of August. Upon the examination by the PT she told me that the muscle that goes across the back of buttocks was tensing up and pinching my sciatic nerve. Thus sending pain down my left side. My back was extremely tight as well. She started me with simple stretches after the exam. Telling me to do them daily. The goal to make it through a full lecture without wanting to grimace in pain. Week one ten minutes before fidgeting begins... week two 30 minutes... Fingers crossed to pain free lecture by week four...

1 comment: