fam

fam

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Mama Janet


During my spring break I got some sad news. My sister Heidi's mother died. She had been sick for quite some time but always pulled out of her brushes with death. When Heidi text us all Thursday morning I prayed that Mama Janet, (as we affectionately called her since my mom is Janet as well)  would be at peace. This wasn't the first time she'd been close to death in the last six months. That night Heidi called me and told me Mama Janet had gone home.
  Today as a family of friends, relatives and good friends we laid her to rest. I made the journey last night after my classes to my parents house in order to attend the burial service today. Her beautiful coffin was hand made by her son, two grandsons and some close friends out of pine. On the front they carved her name, and some of her favorite things. Michael McLean, a personal friend of the family sang a beautiful medley number which was followed by a talk given by Heidi and Kevin. The service ended with a bagpipe rendition of the beautiful hymn Amazing Grace.
  Afterwords we had the luncheon at my parents and it was great to talk to family and friends. It made me realize just how true the statement is about family being thicker then blood. If Mama Janet hadn't moved in to Wells Ward all those years ago I would have never had Heidi in my life. It truly is amazing how our Heavenly Father puts people in our lives for a reason. Mama Janet We love you and are proud of your accomplishments and legacy.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Shannon and how touching! I'm so glad that Heidi came into your life all those years ago, because that meant she came into our lives as well. We love Heidi as a cousin, for that is what she is to us! I'm glad your family was there for Heidi and Kevin during this time. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete